Music Banter - View Single Post - Phonographic Memory
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Firstly, the Song of the Day, 05/13/13 -

Queen - "Don't Stop Me Now"

I've always loved this next song. It's soothing when I feel like I can't live on this planet anymore, as I've lost my wits with human beings, as I can no longer tolerate their idiocy, their folly, their complete and utter bullshit.

Oh, man, look at those cavemen go.

David Bowie - "Life On Mars?"

Spoiler for Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow:

While we're grooving to the sounds of sexy men, I stand by my statement that Marc Bolan was one of the most insanely appealing men that ever lived.

T. Rex - "Cadillac"

Spoiler for super ultra babeitude:

T. Rex - "Hot Love"

Spoiler for I don't mean to be bold, but may I hold your hand?:

But let's just take a moment to pay attention to Mickey Finn doing his thing on the bongos, because he was one hell of a fox.

T. Rex - "Jeepster"

Spoiler for Marc is wearing his face on his shirt...:

When I was maybe about 11/12, I was unspeakably obsessed with this next band. This extreme fondness wore off about 3 years later, but whenever I need a touch of nostalgia, or to remember my days as a silly little girl, I turn to The Cars. (I still find Benjamin Orr to be gorgeous in those days.)

"Just What I Needed" (Live - Midnight Special - '78)

Spoiler for RIP "Benny Eleven Letters":

There was a local radio station that I listened to, practically from birth, until it caved and turned into a country station when I was about 17. Every Saturday night they'd have a few solid hours where they played 70s hits in particular (it was a 50s/60s/70s station - all the greats). This next song will always remind me of those days -

Jay Ferguson - "Thunder Island"

Spoiler for 70s cheese for all:

And this (one of my mother's favorite songs when I was young) -

Lobo - "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo"

Spoiler for More cheese for your retro nachos:

And there's this funky number - super smooth, kind of Steely Dan-ish, no wonder I loved it. It was the beginning of something groovy for me.

Climax Blues Band - "Couldn't Get it Right"

Spoiler for groovy times!:

The other day I was reminded of something I was really into a number of years ago (I'd say I was about 18?) - either way it prompted me to get the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack on vinyl just because of how much I liked this one single track.

Walter Murphy - "A Fifth of Beethoven"

Spoiler for Disco is good for the soul:

Speaking of disco, remember when the Rolling Stones tried it on for size? (And it was actually kind of weird?)

"Miss You" (12" Disco Version)

Spoiler for Really weird, in fact.:

And there was that time when KISS ventured off into the catacombs of groovy disco magic ... (and it was actually pretty cool).

"I Was Made for Lovin' You"

Spoiler for The lyrics are really dumb, but the rest is golden.:

My dad was a huge fan of KISS when I was a little girl, so I grew to love them as well. Even though this next song is a cover (Originally by 60s girl group The Crystals) it's my favorite KISS song.

KISS - "Then She Kissed Me"

Spoiler for Expect a feature on 60s girl groups eventually:

Speaking of rockers doing covers of girl group classics ....

I'll always be head over heels for this next song, though it might have a lot to do with the fact that I just really love the Ronettes.

Ramones - "Baby I Love You"

Spoiler for Have I ever told you how good it feels to hold you?:

Next time: the magic of 60s girl groups (and why they're significant)!