Music Banter - View Single Post - new and don't know how to download music
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
darryl dayton
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
No, the program itself is legal.
If you download any copyrighted material off it that is illegal.

Explain please?

I am an old guy and began recording my purchased vinyl albums onto cassettes with a cassette player/recorder when they became available. I certainly was not going to re-purchase the same music I already owned in order to play it in the new equipment that I also had to purchase to change with the times. I already own a bunch of CDs of the same music I had purchased years ago on vinyl that I want to now download on my new MP3 player. Are you telling me this is illegal? If so, then I am going to be a lawbreaker because I am NOT buying it again.

I am assuming that music sharing is no different. Someone bought it, stored it on a file and is now sharing it with others. How is this different then me lending an old vinyl album to someone back in the day that wanted to record it to their cassette player? This can also go back to the days of sock hops when people would get together for a dance and bring their records for everyone to enjoy at the same time.

If these music sharing sites are illegal then why haven't they been shut down by the law?

I get that the music industry has created their own problem that they have yet to figured out how to encode with protection. It is my understanding that the only way artists are making money with their music today is by touring and playing live. Yes, it is a problem for them but it looks to me like they (or the industry) created their own problem.
darryl dayton is offline   Reply With Quote