Music Banter - View Single Post - Eurovision 2013 Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #32 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

The ones who qualified are in bold:

Austria: Natália Kelly - Shine
I thought I liked this song, but it turns out her voice just didn't do it justice. The song itself is nice, but the girl was just very basic with an overall weak voice.

Estonia: Birgit - Et Uus Saaks Alguse
I'm not sure about the song. I mean, I appreciate that she sang in Estonian, and it was a powerful ballad. But I disagree with her dress and the fact that it made to the final. Same old crap.

Slovenia: Hannah - Straight Into Love
This song was actually better than the Estonian one, I thought, yet didn't make the cut. An interesting dubby bit at the beginning. The girl was not bad. But who cares about Slovenia?

Croatia: Klapa s Mora - Mižerja
When I first heard this I was massively disappointed. Then, something happened, and after a few listens I realized that it was melodic magic. Six gentlemen singing from their hearts is awfully lovely. In a traditional style and dress, how could they not win? Unfortunately, they also failed to make the cut.

Denmark: Emmelie de Forest - Only Teardrops
I'll be honest -- this was my early favorite, simply because it's catchy and the girl is kind a crazy bitch. The song is really haunting in a way...not uplifting. Buuut yeah. The performance was excellent and well produced, it sort of looked like it had already won. We'll see.

Russia: Dina Garipova - What If
Girl - unattractive. Not that unattractiveness is a deal breaker, but this is Eurovision and you are Russia. A real wtf moment. Also the message of the song is cliché and lame. I get it. Imagine all the people, living for today. Should NOT have qualified for the final.

Ukraine: Zlata Ognevich - Gravity
My German friend Anna knew right away that this would make it, but it has absolutely no character whatsoever. I didn't like it before, and I hate it even more now.

The Netherlands: Anouk - Birds
Most people in the Eurovision community seem kinda disappointed that this song made it through to the final. I agree that the song is weird, but I think Anouk is talented. Not a winning entry, but good enough for the final, yeah.

Montenegro: Who See - Igranka
Biggest letdown ever. Performance was crazy Eurovision good, singing was inspired, and the rapping was perfect. I don't get how all of Europe watched this last night and did not unanimously vote for it. I mean, guys in astronaut suits?

Lithuania: Andrius Pojavis - Something
I cannot remember a single thing about this song.

Belarus: Alyona Lanskaya - Solayoh
Belarus had picked another, more interesting song. This came out of left field kinda and while I think Belarus deserves a spot in the final (since it got eliminated so early other years), this song is average at best and imitates older, similar songs too much.

Moldova: Aliona Moon - O Mie
Wow! I can't believe a song with lyrics like "The Mayans were not so wrong it's the end of the world" ended up being sung in Romanian. Bravo, whoever made that decision. And Pasha Parfeny on piano!

Ireland: Ryan Dolan - Only Love Survives
Good performance, and strong voice. I was pleased that there weren't really any bad singers, so to speak, in this edition. I mean I really disliked some of the ballads, but all the people held a tune at least. As for this particular track, nothing special.

Cyprus: Despina Olympiou - An Me Thimasai
Ugh, good thing this underwhelming nothingness is not going anywhere. I have no idea what this was about, and wayyyy too much plastic surgery on her.

Belgium: Roberto Bellarosa - Love Kills
Totally creepy eyes. That's all there is to say about this. Song was mediocre and also scary.

Serbia: Moje 3 - Ljubav Je Svuda
I was very disappointed in Serbia's national final, so not letting these three 'hos into the final is a welcome decision made by voters.

Well, that wraps it up for now. I'll post a recap of the second semi-final on Friday!
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote