Music Banter - View Single Post - Badlittlekitten's top 100 Albums
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Badlittlekitten
And then there was music

Peter Brotzmann - Machine Gun
Free Jazz/Improv

Best tracks; Machine Gun, Music For Han Bennink, Responsible

Loud, reckless free jazz. It's the sound of German saxophonist Brotzmann turning a gatling gun into the direction of the jazz scene and blowing it to smithereens. It's the sound of a band in a state of non-stop tension, from twitchy unease to full on ruckus. It's like they've been locked inside the studio with the violent chicken from Family Guy. Except this one's LOUD, and its panicked screams and squawks fill the room as it tumbles over the drum kit, fists flying. Machine Gun is far more visceral than any other 'noise' record I've listened to. Yet there's these wonderful, fleeting moments where the fists drop and the musicians band together. They are battered and bloody but you feel that the chaos is finally over. The session ends and they ride home like brothers, into the sunset.

Nightfalls, and the silence of the studio is eerie. The chicken lies torn an twisted inside the bass drum.

Its eyes open.

https://soundcloud.com/bad-little-kittens
My Top 100 LPs
My Top 52 Indie Tracks Of The 21st Century (incomplete)

Last edited by Badlittlekitten; 05-15-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Badlittlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote