Music Banter - View Single Post - Powerstar's Thought-Filled Barf Of Musicalness
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Powerstars
Music Addict

Default Review 004 - the early attempts (2012) by fearofdark

REVIEW #004 - THE EARLY ATTEMPTS BY FEAROFDARK
Year: 2012
Genre: 16 Bit/Chiptune
...And now for something completely different. Yes, in an effort to show everyone who reads this (All 1 of you) that I'm not a one-trick pony, I'm going to review an album that is categorized in another genre I'm interested in...Chiptunes. In the future, I will continue to review Rock albums, but will also review albums from a wider variety of genres. You name a genre, I (probably) listen to it. But enough gab. Time to get to this lovely album.

1. Downtown Psychedelic
Opening up with some nice 16 bit drums, I have high hopes for this album. The synth is really weird, but it's kinda cool. The lead, when it comes in, is nice. As the title implies, it is indeed psychedelic. Sounds almost like a menu theme. I like it. I'd say this is a nice way to open the album.

2. Influenza
Ooh. Almost latin/funk fusion we got in dat intro. More funky for the rest of it, though. Bass is nice, but not loud enough in comparison to everything else. Synth does do some really stuff at times.

3. My Spectrum's On Fire
What better way to follow funk than with chill? Don't say more funk! But really, I like this. Chill with some experimentation. It's also pretty soulful. The lead really just carries me away. It is incredible.

4. Dancing On The M%n
Some chill dance fusion going on here. I like it, but it feels a little repetitive. "My Spectrum's On Fire" really did a better job of conveying chill than this one. It is at this point that the listener notices the album begin to drag, with each track going on longer than it needs too. It does have some good moments, though.

5. Get A Brian Morans
More fast paced stuff? Good. Catchy riff at the beginning, after that, the lead is still pretty good, it's good stuff. The rhythm does some really cool stuff later in, also. Halfway in, we also get that part without the drums and then things get rather chill. Pretty sudden end, I have to say.

6. Plagiarism
O.O That awesome spacey intro. The awesome drums and bass. The awesome awesomeness. The dissonance in this song is really awesome and allows it to have some emotion. This is one song that doesn't overstay it's welcome.

7. We Must Perform A Quirkafleeg
More mindless funk! Mindless certainly doesn't mean bad, as the harmonies on this one at the very beginning almost remind me of an asian folk song. After that, it's just some good funk stuff, but they bring back the harmonies sometimes. Later, it becomes more chill.

8. In Retrospect
We start off with distorted drums and then some arcade-like sounds. Then an electric guitar sounding chiptune. This is probably as close to Pop-Rock as Chiptune can get. Very creative. Nice break from the funky chill we've been getting. Almost gets a dream pop vibe towards the end.

9. Sleigh Ride
Yup, that old Christmas song. Very holidayish with the bells. It's pretty great...as far as album filler goes. But really, I like this version.

10. Spectronosis
Whoa, the guitar at the beginning surprised me. Trippy chillish funk, probably the best funk song on the album. Fantastic, psychedelic way to end the album. Psychedelic. Going out the same way we came in.

Conclusion: The album is strong, but is carried down a bit by it's dragging and repetitiveness. It is still, definietly worth a listen, considering you can get it for free. Google it. Also, if you like what you hear, please pay some cash for these tracks. Join me next time, where I review...something. Maybe "Aftermath Of The Lowdown." :3

FINAL SCORE:
79.5/100

Last edited by Powerstars; 05-17-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Powerstars is offline   Reply With Quote