Music Banter - View Single Post - Phonographic Memory
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
Phonographic Memory is a great name for a music blog. Like you, I have a great deal of affection for '60s and '70s pop music. I have a large collection of vintage singles by Phil Specter girl groups and UK Sixties girl singers like Lulu, Cilla Black, Sandie Shaw, Marianne Faithfull, Dusty Springfield and Sandy Posey.

How could I ever forget that song? It was in heavy rotation in my collection a number of years ago. Such an adorable classic.

Lulu really blew me away the first time I heard her voice. Here she is, at age 15. I still can't even believe this remarkable little girl. So much sass!

Lulu - "Shout"

Speaking of Cilla Black, I was listening to this next song on my way to work this morning and actually made a mental note to post my affections for it later. It's lush, lovely, and a little overwhelming. I get a little weak in the knees over this one.

With your hand resting in mine, I feel a power so divine.

Cilla Black - "You're My World"

Let's not forget that our dear Cilla was very close to Marc Bolan!

Cilla Black/Marc Bolan - "Life's a Gas"

Spoiler for two cuties for the price of one!:

A couple fond memories of Sandie Shaw (I must add, like most girls of the 60s, Sandie was a beauty) -

Sandie Shaw - "Monsieur DuPont" (ToTP)

Spoiler for super cute!:

"Puppet on a String"

Spoiler for more Sandie!:

Marianne Faithfull - I'm not terribly familiar with her, but I do know she was very close to Mick Jagger. (And she was, much like Sandie, Cilla, Dusty, and many others, a living dream.) I also need to brush up on what I know of Sandy Posey (I've heard her name a few times) but I do love Dusty Springfield, always and dearly.

Dusty Springfield - "The Look of Love"

Spoiler for RIP Dusty, love you always:

Dusty Springfield - "I Only Want to Be With You"

Spoiler for I also really loved the Bay City Rollers' cover of this:

I believe that love songs from the 60s and 70s (I grew up on this stuff) gave me the most irrational, unreasonable, unrealistic expectations for the rest of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
I love their s/t album and have been listening to it a lot lately. Love this song, and "I'm Set Free" as well. Sterling Morrison's guitar solo on "I'm Set Free" is a thing of fragile, wavering beauty, like much of this album in concept and sound. It's the VU's wavering/beautiful album. Great thread -- enjoying so many of the songs you've posted.
I think I'll probably get back into them eventually; their lyrics had been striking to me when I was first getting into their music (5+ years ago) - especially this. This really caught me off guard.

The Velvet Underground - "The Gift"

Spoiler for the strange tale of Waldo and Marcia....:

Glad to hear you're enjoying the weird stuff I've been posting. My entire life has been accompanied by music of some sort, and I know there's even things hidden deep in my psyche that I've forgotten about by now. Music is incredible like that; I have always felt that it's the only artform that really, deeply touches people.