Music Banter - View Single Post - Music and Hype
Thread: Music and Hype
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always View Post
I suppose so, but given what I listen to, I've actually been called a snob only because I listen to "obscure" bands, so I have had people insult my taste based on that alone. Even artists like Aphex Twin and Jesus & Mary Chain are practically unheard of around my parts (for some odd reason), so when I try and talk about the most basic artists such as Aphex, Phillip Glass, or Django Reinhardt people give me a blank stare, and call me a hipster.
I thought Aphex Twin was popular, or somewhat so. Mark Foster cites AT and the Beach Boys as major influence of FtP.

I have a friend who is into old Punk and UK Punk era bands (among other things) and I was talking about The Chesterfield Kings. He asked me if they were on youtube and I said 'yeah they do video of 99th Floor by The Moving Sidewalks' he responded "The Moving Sidewalks!? ... now you're getting esoteric on me." he made me lol irl.

Yeah, it can be a mixed blessing. I got some ribbing for like Alt-Rock when I was younger. It's almost like if it aint Bob Dylan or The Beatles who heard of them? yanowhatimean?

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote