Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #23402 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

At my work, we have "teams," which are groups of approximately fifteen people who work the same shift and have the same "coach," i.e. manager.

I recently got another shift, thus switching teams, effective Monday. I got on the most elite team on the floor, the team replete with tenured reps who are #1 in all stats for the month, always. It's four ten hour shifts, three days off, and I applied on a whim, and didn't think I'd actually get it.

I applied Monday, and people on my team and people I know on other teams have been applying for this team for weeks; it is the most coveted of all the schedules. The only one which features a full hour for lunch. Anyway, On Thursday, our floor manager walks over to my cubicle and hovers. I figure he's there to chew me out for being on "not-ready" when I was clearly not doing anything other than messing with my playing cards. Anyway, he's all, "Do you still wanna work four tens?" and I was all, "Um, yeah, of course! Why?" and he was like, "Submit your new permanent schedule. You're on that team, effective Monday."

Almost everyone around me applied for that shift weeks ago, and he glanced over and said, "Uh, since you've had that request in for so long..." but everyone there knew I'd just put the request in that week.

The problem? My uber-crush is actually on that team. Actually kept walking past my cubicle today, scoping me out...along with the rest of that team. Felt super-uncomfortable all day.

Also, possibly unimportant, but had anxiety nightmares that I wasn't really accepted onto that elite team, and that the gave me the schedule, but I had to work by myself in the corner of the building with no one around me, and no coach. Later in the dream, I finally got the proper coach and everything, but found out we were secretly on a spaceship, and my job was gunning down intruders with complex lasers...which I was not trained for. I was asked by the coach in my dream if I knew how to do it, and told, before I could answer, that if I didn't, I was fired. Horrible anxiety dreams.

Anyway, people from the team I vaguely knew kept coming up to me, and being like, "Hell yeah, you're switching to the WINNING team!" and ****, which made me feel bad. A lot of people on my team were trying to get on that team and got no response. And yeah, that team is always tops in stats, and I'm always tops on my team in stats, but I felt like an *******.

Like, when we did this bracketology thing where we were in a bracket based on stats for the entire floor, I made it to the final four, so I know I'm better than average at doing my job. I kind of feel like a traitor, though, because I initially planned to lead my own team to the top, and am now just switching over to the top team on the floor.

The schedule is fantastic though. It saves me an entire 70+ miles per week in gas money.

When I was leaving today, all of these people on the team were like, "I'm going to miss you. Please still talk to me."

That was depressing as hell. I'm moving one row over in my cubicle, very similar break times, and we all see people from that team constantly anyway. My coach made me the most depressed. She was like, "I'm so happy for you that you got accepted onto that team. I'll see you Monday, right? You're still going to talk to me, right?"

I just want three days off each week and to save gas money. I don't want my work buddies and coach angsting and acting like I'm moving across the country.

My new coach actually saw me trying to reassure a really good work friend that I'd stay close, and that if need be, I'd hold off on my breaks to hang out. She looked seriously depressed.

I'm not leaving the company! I'm moving roughly 25 feet from my current cubicle.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote