Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #377 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in?

Point of Known Return is from my earliest days of getting into music, when I would rent a bands greatest hits from the library, rip the 3-4 song I knew by them onto my iPod and then return that album. So, no really surprises there in terms of what I expect with Kansas. I certainly appreciate them as one of the rare American prog bands. Long story short, I've heard Point before, but it's been awhile and the initial impression was better than where I left it ~5-6ish years ago.

2. What did you think of the opening tracks?
If Jethro Tull and Boston had a baby, that baby would grow up and become the song Point of Know Return. Certainly, one of the classic pop-prog tracks of the mid 70's. Paradox is one of the weakest points on the whole album and I think a lot of that has to do with the violin part. and while it's cool to get that out of the way early in the album, it leaves a sour taste behind. I had totally forgotten about Spider and it's a nice, solid instrumental.

3. What did you think of the later tracks?
This is where I think POKN picks up some point with me, the adventurous instrumental ideas from Spider start to pop up in the next few tracks and that is when Kansas is most enjoyable for me. Portrait redeems the violin from Paradox and settles into an enjoyable prog rock groove. I love the channeling of Genesis on Closet Chronicles the awesome guitar solo right after the first vocal passage. Lightning Hands has a cool groove to it.

4. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?
Reminds me so much of Brad Delp. Seriously, I have a hard time differentiating between Brad Delp and Steve Welsh/Robby Steinhardt.

5. Whether or not you enjoyed the vocal performance, did the music throughout the album generally appeal to you, or not?
It does and it doesn't. Kansas is not a prog band I come back to with any regularity, but I do enjoy them when I listen to them.

6. Did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?
I enjoyed it more after each listen, not by much, but my enjoyment increased each time.

7. What did you think of the lyrical content?
I didn't catch all the lyrics, but there were some words that peaked my interest and reminded my of stuff by Jethro Tull and Genesis. However, I will never forget the lyrics to Dust in the Wind thanks to Will Ferrell in Old School. You're my boy Blue!!!

8. Did you like the instrumental tracks?(Note: For any albums without any purely instrumental compositions, this question should not be answered or answered as "not applicable")
Spider was the track that kickstarts the album after the two mediocre opening tracks. I enjoy more as a bridge into the strong middle of the album, rather than a stand alone song, but it's still a good solid track, reminding me of Yes' Clap.

9. What did you think of the production?
It sounds like a early-mid album, so finding out the album was produced in 1977 was a bit of a shock because the production didn't exactly match what I usually expect.

10. How well do you already know the band/artist?
I've heard Leftoverature and Point of Know Return, but it's been a while since I've heard them.

11. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?
The album has a lot of AOR influence, but it's still your "traditional" prog album.

12. On repeated listens, did you find you liked the album more, or less?
I took a few listens to appreciate everything between the sub-par Paradox and the classic Dust in the Wind, but it was worth the time to do that.

13. What would you class as your favourite track, if you have one?
Closet Chronicles, but I will always have a soft spot for Dust in the Wind.

14. And the one you liked least?
Paradox. No doubt in my mind.

15. Did the fact that this album is a debut allow it, in your mind, any leeway, and if so, was that decision justified or vindicated?
N/A

16. Are you now looking forward to hearing other albums by the band/artist?
I'll probably listen to this album more, rather than go back and comb over the rest of Kansas' discography.

17. Did you get, thematically, the idea behind the album if there was one?
I think the lyrics are meant to be philosophical, in the most general, dumbed down sense of that word.

18. Did the album end well?
Dust in the Wind is placed in the perfect spot, and it gives a slight break from the proggy middle and the epic closing 3 tracks. The slight Supertramp feel of Sparks in the Tempest is appreciated and Hopelessly Human is a solid closer. While I do like the last 3 tracks, I prefer the trio between Spider and Dust in the Wind.

19. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?
Cut Paradox and add some mellotron.

20. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?
The album has clear breaks, but it helps to establish the flow.

For me, it's a Kansas album. I enjoy it and I am glad US gave me a reason to listen to it again. Compared to my prog tastes, it's just an album I like rather than love.

7.5/10
Electrophonic Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote