Music Banter - View Single Post - Advice for at tips playing your first big gig?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Make sure you're comfortable with everything you'll be playing. I know I've gone into some gigs with only partial knowledge of one or two of the tunes, and that can ruin the whole gig, for me anyway. I just obsess over it and it ****s with me.

Try to find a quiet place to meditate just before, or close to the time when you go on stage. This helps to clear your mind of any distractions.

Just before the show, get the whole band together and have a chant of something. Like just before an NFL game when the team gets together. After all a band is a team, and this fosters team playing and comeraderie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far From California View Post
I'm really looking for some tips for creating our setlist and how to add ambiance to the show rather than just playing song after song.
That depends on the tunes. Without hearing them it's hard to really give any advise on that. I've found that jumping into each song with no distractions in between helps with continuity.

Thats all I can think of really. Good luck and break a leg!