Music Banter - View Single Post - When you LOVE music, but are incapable of creating anything
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
ZeyerGTR
Groupie

Quote:
Now the actual dilemma here is that I am kinda having the issue that each time I take a seat by the piano and start playing, I start combining chords and changing finger positions and all the basic stuff you do on the piano, and I get lured to various rhythms from others songs and I can all the time hear and recognize songs which I have heard in earlier times, and that comes as a very big issue to me, because I can't create something original. I must be doing this unconsciously.
To be blunt, so what? Many great songs have bits borrowed or stolen from other great songs. Originality is overrated. Is it good? That's what matters. Because 99.99% of the time, it's not nearly as original as you thought it was. Someone has probably used that rhythm, chord progression, or phrase before. The magic is in how you compile those pieces together into something new.

Just keep at it. Just write. Finish something. Who cares if it's original or new, or even good? Just finish a song. Then finish 100 more. Eventually you'll find your own voice.

The biggest problem a lot of new writers face is being afraid to write a bad song. I guarantee you that your favorite writers wrote a lot of bad songs...

Quote:
When it comes to expressing these, through voice, or guitar, I completely lose them and have to rely upon the closest thing I can do and take it in a different direction.
One thing that can help is to work on transcribing other pieces by ear. Lots of them!
ZeyerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote