Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #19481 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Tera Melos - X'ed Out (2013)
I liked these guys when they were instrumental math rock, their s/t debut was stunning. I wasn't too into their last album, Patagonian Rats, where they introduced vocals. The vocals were chaotic and combined with chaotic math rock it was just too overwhelming and messy. This...sort of feels the same, but maybe a little less messy. Definitely so on some tracks. I've either accepted this new style (though it's been a while since I listened to them) or it actually is a little more thought-out. Still, I'm not sure about the replay value. I don't really listen to much math rock these days anyway.

Suuns - Zeroes QC (2010)
A friend on another forum posted about this band saying they reminded him of Clinic, but more electronic. This piqued my interest so I listened to it on Spotify yesterday, twice. I don't feel it has that much in common with Clinic except the vocals were very similar on one track. It's certainly not hypnotic the way Clinic can be. I feel like other influences came through more than Clinic, but I can't really remember. A little bit of The Beta Band and Django Django, perhaps, but different. So it's basically Art Rock, and I liked it enough to download it and their more recent one last night.

Skinny Puppy - Weapon (2013)
According to everything I've read, I should like this more than the previous 3 reunion albums. That may well be true, as I've liked each better than the last as they get closer and closer to actually sounding like past Skinny Puppy. Innovation is good but when they first reunited, I wasn't into the style at all (though I was very happy they were touring). The album as a whole didn't sound as old school as I was lead to believe, save for a few tracks and a re-recording of an old song "Solvent" which sounded really good, of course. There's also the fact that my interest in this genre is really non-existent at this point in my life, save for my continued support of this band and their side projects. So my enjoyment isn't what it could be. In conclusion, this probably is going to stand out as their best reunion album so far.

Baths - Obsidian (2013)
For those not familiar with Baths, his sound can best be described as Glitch Pop and Indie Electronic. He's right at home on Anticon Records. I enjoyed his debut Cerulean and while I wasn't in love with it, it was in regular rotation for a while. This album is very much stylistically similar to that debut, no serious deviation or innovation, at least on first listen. I think this one will stay in rotation as well.