Music Banter - View Single Post - Niyaz by Niyaz
Thread: Niyaz by Niyaz
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Stephen
I sleep in your hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
No, I didn´t come across Eternal; I stopped exploring after finding If I´d been born an eagle and Where young grass grows. A meeting point between Huun Huur Tu and Niyaz certainly sounds intriguing ...
I guess I did imagine it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
- and Stephen (formerly stp) is a total Dead Can Dance expert. He can probably fix it that they go round and play in your living room for you !
I'm not so sure about my influence seeing they barely made it to Melbourne on their recent tour. I do have renewed respect for them though after seeing them live. Lisa Gerrard's voice was quite spectacular. Listening to Niyaz though I did find myself pondering Dead Can Dance's authenticity. I believe I mentioned somewhere that Lisa Gerrard sings in a language she basically made up. She tends to use fairly Eastern sounds and I found myself wondering if she would get away with it if they had chosen another style. For instance if they played faux Chinese and she sang gibberish with Chinese inflections I don't imagine she would get away with it without coming across as a racist tosser. I still love their music but that thought did trouble me .
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote