Music Banter - View Single Post - Powerstar's Thought-Filled Barf Of Musicalness
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Powerstars
Music Addict

Review #009 - "Gypsyhook" by Sonny Moore (AKA Skrillex)

Year: 2009
Genre: Electronic/Synthpop/Alternative Dance/Rock

This is one of the different things I was talking about. In 2009, before Sonny Moore (AKA Skrillex) hit it big with his dubstep stuff, he recorded an EP of Electronic songs called Gypsyhook. He was also supposed to record an LP, but the tapes went missing and he took a completely different approach: Dubstep. So, let's take a look at Skrillex before Skrillex was Skrillex.

1. Gypsyhook
Quite a catchy little song. Sonny sings well, albeit sometimes sounds a little odd. This song could've been a big hit had it been released as a single, but not in a bad way.

2. Mora
Quite possibly the most famous of the "Skrillex before Skrillex was Skrillex" tracks, this one is a heavy electro track with a few clear rock influences such as the synth crunching resembling guitar crunching, and just generally the presence of distorted guitar sounds. It does sound a bit like the stuff Sonny became known for, but not much.

3. Copaface2
Intro almost reminds me of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance," in the most mediocre possible way. It gets better from there. Out of the 3 songs that aren't remixes on here, I gotta say, this one foreshadows Sonny's future the most with the heavy bass. Ending is real nice.

4. Gypsyhook (Vs. DMNDAYS)
Ooh. I like this. Bassalicious. Not much to say, a nice mindless remix of a good song.

5. Mora (Vs. The Toxic Avenger)
Neat smooth little intro there. Then comes the bass. This is a very nice remix and is very much a precursor to Sonny's later work, like much of the EP. Later on, it even draws influences from Glitch, which is really cool.

6. Mora (Vs. LAZRtag)
Even more bass heavy, I can't say much about this track that hasn't been said of the others. Although, I must say, the heavy bass really compliments the vocals here.

7. Copaface2 (Vs. Dan Sena)
The song is one that was meant to be played in clubs in an extended mix. With it's bass, drums, bleeps, and bloops, heck, even some symphonic elements, this may be the most danceable song on the album.

8. Kai Sui
"Mora," but in gratuitous Japanese. Just weird, not sure if I like it or not.

Conclusion: A cool thing to listen to hear the roots of the single most controversial dubstep (I'm sorry people who consider Skrillex Brostep or whatever) artist of all time.

Final Score: 70/100 (Danceable, but mildly forgettable)