Music Banter - View Single Post - Religion and music
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Joekie
Groupie

Default Religion and music

I wanted to make a thread about religion and music. I didn't really know where a thread like this should go, but this sub-forum sounded like the logical place to go.

So my question is, do you think your religious views (should) have an influence on the music you like?

I'll explain a bit about my religious views first. Personally, I'm an agnost. Which means that I think: 'I don't know whether or not a deity exists, I'll have another cookie now.' Religion or faith does not play any kind of role in my life. There are people who think agnosts are just wussies that are too afraid to admit they're atheists (or theists for that matter). But they're . I don't think it's choosing not to choose or being afraid of making a choice. In my case I just don't care enough about the choice to make a choice. I do believe religion is a beautiful thing that brings a lot of people happiness, joy and a sense of belonging. So yay! Also it's a thing that's being misused by a load of people and that sucks.

So enough about my religious views. Let's talk about music. The strange thing is that even though I'm not religious in any way I do love Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky

And I also love Jesus Christ Superstar - Everything's alright. And Petra Berger - When He Spoke My Name. All songs that are pretty religious if you ask me and yet somehow I feel a strange attraction to these songs. vOv

So what do you people think about this? Is this normal? Or is it weird? Are lyrics of a song so important that you would never like a song that goes against your religious views? Or do you think music and religion have nothing to do with each other and all this doesn't matter? Has your religion or have your religious views caused you to like certain songs because of the lyrics?
Joekie is offline   Reply With Quote