Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer vs Metallica
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #264 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
Commercial success aside though, I think Big 3 was suggesting that bands like RHCP and The Clash changed their sound and experimented more than Slayer have.

I couldn't care less about that personally and I don't particularly wish that Slayer had experimented any more than they have but that seems to be his point, and so the success of RHCPs last album is kind irrelevant.

I also don't see how Metallica can be summed up so easily. Considering they have recorded old school thrash metal, radio-friendly alternative metal, blues-rock, country and one shameful attempt at nu-metal. It hasn't all worked, it hasn't all been good (in my opinion) but I don't think any of it has been cock-rock and I don't think they can be "templated" in that way, like Slayer arguably can.
Actually if you read the quote, he said that The Clash ended their career as a terrible punk band. He also said RHCP Hasn't recorded anything funk in years, when in fact thats all they basically record is funk and ballad type songs.

I think we need to dig a bit deeper on Slayer then to call them a one trick pony. They actually changed a great deal of their sound, especially when Dave Lombardo was on hiatus, because nobody can drum like Davre Lombardo.

We must listen to two entirely different bands when we listen to Metallica. I find their Old School thrash as you call it far more diverse then their attempts at radio friendly country nu metal rock.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote