Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Key

Aaaaaand, we are back to a regular-ish schedule, we had our memorial sale day and pre sale day at work so I needed sleep, but now I can be distracted with my journal. Now...let's see:

I know i'm treading dangerous territory by posting about this band at this forum as I know there have a large fan base, and trust me, before you read further, please keep in mind that I have given them a very thorough listen to come to the conclusions you will read about. Now...onto my brief review. So, to start off, when The King of Limbs was released back in 2011, I was actually one of those that actually found some songs that I liked, but I didn't really have much familiarity with the band other than the fact that people go bat **** crazy over them, personally, I don't get it, I have asked many times what is special about them, and I get the same answer: "listen to OK Computer and Kid A and you'll see", well...I took that advice and got myself a copy of OK Computer and Kid A, and you know what I was left with? The same damn confusion that I had when I asked the question prior, so then I asked the question again, and I got another response that was along the lines of "you mustn't be listening to the albums correctly." Well then, I had no idea I was supposed to listen to an album a certain way. Now don't worry, this won't be all negative, I did find some and that is a small amount of liking with OK Computer, with a track called Electioneering. I'll probably regret this later, but I found Thom Yorke listenable in that song, which is tough since I can't seem to find a reason why people see him as this fantastic singer, I find him to be average at best. This band definitely gets a lot of hype, and perhaps more hype than they deserve, but hey, they have a huge fan base whom love their music to death, so I suppose they are doing something right, so I congratulate them for that. However, as you've probably already assumed, my verdict comes to...

I really don't want to come off as one of those typical Radiohead haters, because I really am not trying to piss people off, I did give them a fair chance by listening to all their albums, and even listening to the two highly acknowledged albums, and like I said, I did find some enjoyment out of OK Computer, so I am happy that I was able to see some sort of liking. I did try, and I wanted to like them, I also wanted to see what the big deal was with all the hype, and to me, it wasn't worth it. I didn't get what I was hoping to get with listening to them, I was actually filled with a lot of disappointed and a weird sour taste in my mouth. At some point, I do plan to give them another thorough listen to hopefully alter my opinion, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote