Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Guitars?
Thread: Metal Guitars?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
The ESP LTD James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett signature series guitars seem to be popular with a lot of metal players. Of course ESP LTD has cheaper guitars to choose from besides their signature series.

The 7-string guitars eliminate tuning down of the E-string and adds that extra low end most metal guitarist are looking for.

If your budget can handle it, Fender and Gibson have famous names popular with metal players as well, some other good brands are B.C. Rich, DBZ, Dean, ESP, Jackson, and Ibanez. A lot of heavy metal guitars tend to have "active pickups" (Changing your pickups on the current guitar you own might be the remedy your looking for) and a lot cheaper at the same time.

Good Luck! finding the guitar that is right for you.
The hell?

LTD esp are a metal oriented company. So are Ibanez, Schecter, and tons of others. Don't just recommend a brand, the specs and build are what matters.

Second, 7 string guitars aren't really about eliminating downtuning, they're about having an extended range and more potential for long runs, chords voicings, etc. Most 7 strings are only 25.5" scale, which is the same as most 6 strings. If it were about being lower tuned, they'd have longer scales, like 27" and 28.625", to compensate for the lack of tension by having a longer length of string.

The last thing you'd use a 7 for is to eliminate downtuning because most downtunes in metal are drop tunings, and the low B is a 4th below the low E, whereas a drop tuning uses an interval of a 5th.

As for active pickups, a lot of metal players use them, but just as many don't, and many metal players HATE them. Please try and look into things before you recommend - Its important to say "WHY" do you want these features or brands, rather than just saying "Metal players tend to like these brands" - particularly since most metalheads are dumb as a box of rocks and just throw money at their favourite bands choice of gear instead of buying what they want or need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote