Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #629 (permalink)
BlindEars
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chives View Post
Is it my job to keep the Bob Dylan thread alive? I guess all the older members have nothing left to say about him or something?

I came on to say how great the Before the Flood live album with the Band is. I bought it a few weeks ago and it's just fantastic. Maybe not the best in song selection (for me) but when they tear it up in the electric numbers it comes off great. One of the few Dylan releases to really surprise me upon first listen because I never hear anybody talk about it.

Since I enjoyed Before the Flood so much, I've been reviewing all the Bootleg Series volumes dedicated to live Dylan because I feel like I've been missing out. "Royal Albert Hall" concert is great and I want to relisten to the live 64 concert because I don't remember it very well. Hoping they are some good stuff.
happy to help bring this thread to surface!

I just picked that up recently myself ... i left it as one of the last items on my to do list: most of its criticisms has to do with its sound quality. But there are some great performances on there, including the definitive performance of Knockin on Heavens Door.

someone asked earlier about the bootleg series on vinyl - most of them are available, but i think they were mixed from the cd mix anyhow. I have tell tale signs, witmark, and live 66 on vinyl, and they are quite fun simply for the packaging. I'd like to get live 75 on vinyl because I always forget where i put my CD player these days!

live 75 may capture the peak of Dylan's touring capabilities. although the NET is an entire mountain range worth exploring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneFrank View Post
I haven't listened to my Dylan vinyls in over 15 years since my turn-table died. Everything is on the computer these days anyway which sort of takes the fun out of it. But for quick and easy access it's convenient and anyway my aging ears don't really decipher the aural nuances between analog and digital anymore.

I have all the official releases on vinyl up until "Love & Theft". New vinyl records did get more expensive as the releases got more limited. "Time Out Of Mind" and L&T were close to $20 each when they were released. Since I had the CD's I never replaced my turn-table and so I never got a chance to spin them.

Is it hard to find the old Dylan albums on vinyl these days? In the 90's I was picking up multiple copies for a buck or two and didn't really know if the vinyl was any good or not. Just the covers, sleeves and liner notes were worth getting at that price.
most of them are readily available: there has been the Sony Mono set reissue a few years ago where you can get the first 8 in one lump package, and there's the sundazed reissues that cover up through nashville skyline. those you can purchase individually. The only albums right now that are hard to acquire in the States are: Time out of Mind, World Gone Wrong, Under a Red Sky, and Unplugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chives View Post
Ah, finally got a physical copy of the Basement Tapes. Every copy I've ever seen (probably less than three) has been worn and scratched up, but I finally found one that was in beautiful shape. It was my first time hearing the 1975 album all the way through (I had listened to bootlegs before) and it was pretty great. The album artwork is pretty cool, too!

So now I've gotten all the Dylan albums I've been really itchin to get. I still would like a vinyl version of Positively 4th Street in my collection...so will probably get his first Greatest Hits or the single itself...and I'm sure he has other albums I'd consider getting in the future but frankly I have more than enough Dylan to last me for quite a while. Maybe Planet Waves at some point...I remember that being nice.
Planet waves is quite worth it! and it only makes sense on vinyl, because the two forever youngs are at least separated by the act of flipping sides.

Positively 4th street single is also included in the nice little record store day release package, which has about 4 sweet 45 mono singles in terrific packaging. probably some good deals on amazon for it. Greatest hits is a fun spin too, such an impressive collection of powerful songs that usually get washed away in the context of the great albums they are on. I listen to it biannually on his birthday and the fourth of July.
BlindEars is offline   Reply With Quote