Music Banter - View Single Post - Phonographic Memory
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

I just realized that I forgot to post my Song of the Day for yesterday, so I'll post something I heard on the radio that I hadn't heard in a rather long time. Nothing on the radio usually stands out to me - I usually don't listen to it at all but my other method of driving music failed me.

Make sure you're wearing headphones, turn it up, groove, relax. This song is a masterpiece. It reminds me of my freshman year in high school, mid-september. Later that fall I had auditioned for a Christmas play. I was denied.

SoTD - 05/28/13

Heart - "Crazy On You"

eh, what the hell, let's have some more Heart!

"Straight On"

Spoiler for Ann and Nancy are so groovy.:

"Magic Man"

Spoiler for Reminds me of someone I love, if you know what I mean.:

"Barracuda"

Spoiler for I'm pretty sure Ann & Nancy are the baddest bitches in the biz.:

"Little Queen"

Spoiler for So smooth.:

And the last Heart track for now; a beautiful cover of Aaron Neville's original.

"Tell it Like it Is"

Spoiler for Beautiful.:

And I know I promised a feature on Weird Al, but I'm not in the mood for a full feature, so here's a bunch of songs that make me laugh every time. I turn to Weird Al when I'm in serious need of cheering-up (that is, if Sparks don't do the trick).

First, a parody of Madonna's "Like a Virgin". I just about die every time I hear this song. It's just hilarious. Immature, yes. Dumb, of course. Funny as hell? YEAH.

The chainsaw gets me every time, but there are just dozens of weird little details everywhere throughout the video. It's a killer. Just watch.

Weird Al - "Like a Surgeon"

A parody of Michael Jackson's "Bad". This one is also hilarious.

"Fat"

Spoiler for "Yo, ding dong man, ding dong!":

This is a pastiche, or a style parody of DEVO. It's one of my dad's favorite songs. And it's also pretty much the story of my life.

"Dare to be Stupid"

Spoiler for "Get your mojo working now, I'll show you how - dare to be stupid!":

And a parody of James Brown's "Living in America" .... god, I love this song. I'm laughing so hard I can't even cope right now. I used to tease my grandfather behind his back with this song, because he had a pretty bad hernia. In the pants region.

LOL HERNIAS OF THE WEEK. Goddamn, Al.

"Living With a Hernia"

Spoiler for "Doctor says there ain't nothing to discuss, he tells me any day I might have to wear a dress!":

This next one is a parody of Coolio's "Gangster's Paradise". Also, Florence Henderson (otherwise known as Carol Brady).

"Amish Paradise"

Spoiler for "Tonight we're going to party like it's 1699.":

I remember when this song was wildly popular. Some nerdy kid who sat next to me in my sophomore creative writing class was completely obsessed with it. Later on in life I realized I was white and nerdy, too. It's a parody of "Ridin' Dirty" by Chamillionaire.

"White and Nerdy"

Spoiler for "Even made a homepage for my dog, yo!":

This next track is a parody of Eminem's "Lose Yourself". And it's awesome. The lyrics are brilliant. I wish I had half of Al's creativity. He's a genius.

"Couch Potato"

Spoiler for "Next week on FOX watch "Lions Eat Christians"":

This is the last track I'm going to include for the day. Here's a brilliant parody of Aerosmith's "Living on the Edge". My father loves this song. I just about die every time I hear it, because it's so ridiculous. I love how "dysentery!" is sung throughout the chorus in the background.

"Livin' in the Fridge"

Spoiler for "If you can name the object in that baggie over there ...":

Now I'm off to partake in a Heart binge. What's next? We'll see.