Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Guitars?
Thread: Metal Guitars?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
anathematized_one
Music Addict

Well it depends. Ignoring models and brands, there are many factors to look at. Realistically, any guitar can be, and has been, used for metal.

Speed
This is where you look into neck profiles. You can get a more u shape or a more v shape, both of which can have thicker or thinner curvatures. Typically thinner = faster, but go with what is comfortable. Thinner also can reduce sustain.

Tone
Nearly every aspect affects the tone. If you want a darker/warmer tone, you will want to go with a mahogany body, but it is going to significantly increase the weight. Other woods have brighter tones. You can also get a "top wood" to alter the tone, say getting a mahogany body with a 1/8" maple top wood would give you a warm and dark tone but also will brighten up some of the highs.

Sustain
This is heavily influenced by what type of fretboard you have. Rosewood is your typical fretboard, bit ebony provides much morw sustain, but also costs quite a bit.

Other factors are down-tuning. I typically tune to D standard. Even in E standard though, I use relatively thick strings (easier and more comfortable to me). Thicker strings are easier tto use in lower tunings, but in higher tunings, they can be more difficult to tune. Many people also don't like thicker strings. This can affect the neck width you decide on, though more than likely it will not.

You also have options of a tromolo or whammy bar. I personally don't like them. To have one, you must have a floating bridge. For me, I like the feel of a fixed bridge and the trem bar just gets in my way. Another option is a locking nut, which helps to hold tuning, but is almost a waste on a fixed bridge.

If you are shopping in a guitar store, try to find an amp that has a similar sound and type to the one you use and test the guitars through there. Some guitars sound better on certain amps/setups than others do.

Another factor are pickups. Active require a batter so there is that which you have to replace when it dies but you get additional power, so you have to weigh that out. You alo have to decide on the type, single or double coil, humbucker, etc for each pickup (neck and bridge). If you customise a guitar, you may even mix brands/types of pickups.

Last edited by anathematized_one; 05-31-2013 at 01:00 AM.
anathematized_one is offline   Reply With Quote