Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Guitars?
Thread: Metal Guitars?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
anathematized_one
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
There.
When I said "tremolo or whammy bar", I wasn't saying that they are different, however posting from a phone is a bitch and I forgot to put quotes around "whammy". It should have read as "a tremolo or *scare quotes*whammy bar*scare quotes*. It is not my fault English lacks specificity and that posting on a forum kills all context clues like tone of voice.

Also, I did say that locking nuts help hold tuning and that it is pointless on a fixed bridge (which would imply that they're only good for floating bridges).

And yes, you do need a floating bridge for a tremolo bar, that's how it moves. Putting one on the guitar you mentioned takes the bridge from fixed to floating.

Also as a generality, thinner necks are considered faster and I did say to go for comfort over speed.

Also, my Jackson Warrior has a standard neck and it barely is able to take the 10-52's I use. I also did say that neck width probably won't matter unless he goes to the extreme.

Also yes, thicker strings are easier to tune in down-tuning. You have more precision as the thinner the string, the more sensitive it is to minute changes in adjustment. Thinner strings will not take nearly as much of a turn of the tuning peg at lower tunings to go out of tune.

Furthermore, I don't know his budget or goals and gave general information about woods and did state that they would significantly increase the price.

Also, fretboard does affect sustain far more than you realise as harder woods (such as ebony) absorb less string vibration, which means more gets transferred to the neck and body where the reverberations increase sustain.

There is no "metal guitar". Metal guitars and companies who primarily market to metal players essentially make their guitars metal by givinf them "metal" body styles, such as the King V or the Dinky. The only difference is cosmetic.

I am also positive that my post wasn't gibberish and didn't go to extremes in detail, and that everything I said goes into any guitar purchase, custom or not. I gave generalities about what affects the sound, which is the true important aspect as ANY guitar can be used for metam depending on what sound you're going for.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2