Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Listens to Random **** and Talks About It
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #88 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

R.E.M.: Murmur

Well, I've been listening to the Replacements a lot recently and I dug my dusty and mostly ignored copy of Automatic for the People out of the (metaphorical) attic. So, I've got a hankering for eighties college rock. Might as well start with some more R.E.M.

(twenty bucks to anybody who gets the reference)

Mmmm. Power pop. The most delicious of all pops. Screw root beer. "Radio Free Europe" is a nice bit of punkish pop goodness. You know, R.E.M seem to have the odd ability to sound like rock'n'roll and adult contemporary at the same time. I feel excited and relaxed at the same time. The fact that my mother likes R.E.M too in no way makes this any worse. Besides, the only song I ever hear her listen to is "The Great Beyond". Philistine.

I don't really have a whole lot to say to be honest. This is just fun, catchy, not too hard-and-heavy pop rock. You know what R.E.M. sound like. It's not like they're an avant garde, free form noise band. They're R.E.M. The Batlord out.

Spoiler for You been dissed.:

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote