Music Banter - View Single Post - Phonographic Memory
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #44 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

So the other day I was driving home and this came on. This song has always been incredibly unsettling to me, and it always reminds me of how much disgust I have for people who hurt children. I don't particularly like children, I don't ever want them, but I don't believe anyone ever has a reason to hurt them.

In my opinion, this is some of Pat Benatar's best work. It always sends shivers up my spine, brings tears to my eyes, and just makes me feel. Anyone who abuses anyone or any creature should be burned alive. No excuses.

Love and pain become one and the same in the eyes of a wounded child.

Pat Benatar - "Hell is For Children"

My love for Pat Benatar began when I was about 14. She is such a role model. She is a powerful woman with a luscious voice, and she knows how to rock. Her speaking voice is a little gross and gravelly, but her entire being is beautiful.

I'm not really ready for a feature on Pat, so here's a few of my favorites.

This next song will always remind me of sitting in my grandma's basement listening to "Crimes of Passion" on an 8-track cassette. The player switched channels a few times, effectively scaring the hell out of me, but left a lasting impression and a pretty cool memory.

"You Better Run"

Spoiler for She's so cute/terrifying.:

A lesser-known track that I'd put on a bunch of mix discs in high school. I still think it's a well-written, interesting track.

"Evil Genius"

Spoiler for It's like a darker version of Sparks' "Talent is an Asset"...:

Pat's first album "In the Heat of the Night" will always remind me of the summer of '07. It still remains one of my favorite listens in the summer. At night. Wow, could I possibly be any more redundant and typical? Anyway.

"If You Think You Know How to Love Me"

Spoiler for So pretty.:

Many wounds from heartaches were gently nursed to this track -

"Fire and Ice"

Spoiler for Still gives me the shivers.:

I suppose with any entry where someone mentions Pat Benatar, you've got to throw in Deborah Harry, the vixen of Blondie. I adore her a little more than Pat; Deb's just got more of an edge. I guess I'll throw in a few Blondie tracks for ultimate babeitude.

This one's a cover of "Denise" by Randy & The Rainbows, just gender-swapped. Debbie's so pretty, it makes me want to cry.

"Denis"

And here's a cover of Buddy Holly's original raver.

"I'm Gonna Love You Too"

Spoiler for swooooon:

And while criminally overplayed, I still think this is one of the grooviest things that ever happened.

"Rapture"

Spoiler for The brass really did me in.:

But wait, remember when this happened? (It's a mashup of "Riders on the Storm" and "Rapture"!)

Blondie/The Doors - "Rapture Riders"

Spoiler for Still love this.:

Here's some more cute rock chicks. I'm still totally in love with these girls. Jane Wiedlin had the pleasure of working with Sparks in the early 80s. She was the president of a Los Angeles-based fan club, and wrote a letter to the bros Mael. In return, they asked her to cut a couple tracks with them. But first, my favorite track by The Go-Go's.

"You Thought"

I remember playing (and overplaying) my "Beauty and the Beat" cassette years ago. This song actually did keep me up all night once, as it was spinning through my head and subliminally keeping me awake.

"You Can't Walk in Your Sleep (If You Can't Sleep)" (LIVE)

Spoiler for "You smashed your windows bit by bit...":

Some more live footage of these badass ladies:

"Tonight" (LIVE)

Spoiler for "Get dressed up and messed up, blow our cares away...":

And more, because now I'm totally hooked. They're coming to Seattle soon, by the way. I'd love to see them (hint, hint). This track will always remind me of being a young (and jealous) girl.

"How Much More" (LIVE)

Spoiler for Belinda is so adorable!:

Anyway, back to Jane. Jane wrote this track. It's probably my most favorite song from that album.

"Automatic" (LIVE)

Spoiler for Drums and bass. DRUMS. AND. BASS. JANE. WIEDLIN.:

So when Jane hooked up with Ron and Russell Mael (Sparks), this happened. And it was totally dumb. I can't find the other song, but it was a sleeper called "Lucky Me, Lucky You" (though the lyrics on that were substantially better).

"Cool Places"

(But I bet Jane got to sleep with Russell, so the stupid song was totally worth it.)

Here's something similarly stupid from the 80s. You'll recognize this group from the Square Pegs theme song, though I'm convinced that everyone knows this stupid song anyway. Patty Donahue always reminded me of my old friend Sofie. (I'm so sorry, but they could be twins.)

The Waitresses - "I Know What Boys Like"

Spoiler for Patty died from lung cancer.:

Patty also sort of looks like Sharona Alperin.

Might as well throw this 80s track in there, for good measure. At some point in my life I knew all the lyrics to this (in German).

Nena - "99 Luftballons"

Spoiler for It's a lot more charming in its native language.:

Well, that about does it for me. Oh, wait. I heard this on the radio earlier, and almost forgot how happy it made me when I was much younger. It had been a really long time since I'd heard it, so I turned it up. People stared, but I didn't give a damn. When Paul McCartney is on the radio, you turn that shit up.

Wings - "Band on the Run"