Music Banter - View Single Post - recording studio setup.
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
stevesonthebay
Music Addict

yeah thanks for the great advise. my computer was off line for a while and i had to re install windows. most of the problems i was having were the mic. i bought a condenser mic and now everything is clear and there is hardly any interference noise. it was only a cheap 2nd hand one a belhringer c3 but it does the job for now as im on a budget.
yes i am finding out my computer is not powerful enough to cope with some of the projects im doing. sometimes freezes and just goes like its jumping and skipping on occasions. it will do for now but i know i will have to upgrade later when i can afford it. bloody hobbies costing so much but i love it.
i have put on hold the studio room and thanks for the advice maybe it is to small a room and the hassle of moving everything and then going there to record each time. got use to being able to just do it at the spur of the moment in my lounge room. the noise factor is ok at the moment as the neighbor on one side is hardly there and the other side is further away from where i record with another room in between. like you said i can make the room sound better with some absorbing or reflecting items which i will experiment with. the mic seemed to solve a lot for me and the vocals are sounding much better. not sure about the guitar though sounds a bit muddy so like you said have to try different positions with mic placement and the acoustics of the room. not sure if my large condenser mic is the best for recording acoustic guitar. i see most people using a smaller condenser mic right on the guitar when recording.
your right about getting the basics sorted first before anything else. i am redoing the songs with the new mic and will experiment with the placement to try and find the best sound. i also go through my mixer as it has preamps and and now that the interference issue is sorted there is no problems. as for the mixing and effects i am slowly learning but like you said not doing my head in over it as it will come gotta get the basics right first.