Music Banter - View Single Post - The Metalcore Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #449 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman419 View Post
Hey beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen a couple of girls where gauges actually looked better.
Anyways can we get back to talking about metalcore, I'll throw out a couple of band names and let me know what you think of em
Trivium
As I Lay Dying
Between the Buried and Me
All That Remains
Killswitch Engage
Trivium: I used to love them until I got tired of them. They aren't the worst band ever by any means, but their music is just a stale retread of melodic metalcore cliches with some terrible thrash elements thrown in to trick scene kids into thinking they're not listening to generic melodic metalcore. Even then I could have forgiven them if they'd actually expanded their sound. From The Crusade and Shogun you could tell they wanted to break out of their box, but with In Waves they completely gave up and just went back to their dull Ascendancy formula.

Also Matt Heafy is a god awful vocalist. His screams lack any emotion. They're just there because that's what the style of their music dictates. I actually would rather listen to his emo vocals over his screams. And his Hetfield-wannabe vocals are beneath my contempt.

As I Lay Dying: They are the embodiment of the cliched, boring melodic metalcore band. Blech.

Between the Buried and Me: Love them. After a couple months of not knowing what to do with them after buying Colors I eventually fell in love with them. They're not always particularly coherent and I think that they can be rather pretentious, and the brutal mathcore bits right next to melodic prog bits can be rather awkward, but their virtues far outweigh their flaws.

All that Remains: The only song I ever heard from them was that ****ty song that's on the radio right now. Never really had any desire to listen to them after I got bored with metal/deathcore.

Killswitch Engage: Bought As Daylight Dies a few years ago which made me lose interest in listening to them anymore. And please don't anyone tell me to listen to their debut, because I couldn't give less of a **** about giving KE another shot.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote