Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #630 (permalink)
Chives
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindEars View Post
someone asked earlier about the bootleg series on vinyl - most of them are available, but i think they were mixed from the cd mix anyhow. I have tell tale signs, witmark, and live 66 on vinyl, and they are quite fun simply for the packaging. I'd like to get live 75 on vinyl because I always forget where i put my CD player these days!
As is usually the case. I don't know if I can justify buying the vinyl copies of the Bootleg Series, so I'll probably just pick up the CDs when I see them for cheap. Do they have good liner notes? That might the push I need to justify buying them on CD, because otherwise it's tough.
Quote:
there has been the Sony Mono set reissue a few years ago where you can get the first 8 in one lump package
I want to strongly emphasis how good this set is. It's some of the best sounding vinyl in my entire 350-or-so album collection. I have a few Japanese Beatles and Japanese jazz pressings that give it good competiton, but the Mono Recordings box are really up there. I've heard the Sundazed reissues are really good as well though (as Sundazed vinyl issues usually are!) so they might be equivalent in quality. I'm a sucker for box sets, though.

And really? I see Under the Red Sky on vinyl pretty often, at least on three different occasions and all for around 5 bucks. I see it more often than I see some of his mid-80s stuff (I've seen Down in the Groove only once). Maybe just coincidence, though. Never seen any of the other "vinyl rarities" listed here on vinyl in shops though, so I believe it.

Planet Waves will definitely be my next Dylan purchase. I don't remember really engaging with it when I have heard it but it's important enough that I should own it. Especially now that I'm getting into the Band more and more.
Quote:
Positively 4th street single is also included in the nice little record store day release package, which has about 4 sweet 45 mono singles in terrific packaging. probably some good deals on amazon for it. Greatest hits is a fun spin too, such an impressive collection of powerful songs that usually get washed away in the context of the great albums they are on. I listen to it biannually on his birthday and the fourth of July.
This sounds cool. I'll look it up, but Greatest Hits is probably cheaper so I probably won't bother.

Last edited by Chives; 06-04-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Chives is offline   Reply With Quote