Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Listens to Random **** and Talks About It
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #96 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Demo Today Gone Tomorrow: I Couldn't Think of Anything More Clever - Part II

Eructation: Demo '92 - 1992 (duh!)

No idea who these guys are. Saw them mentioned on a thread in the Metal Archives forum after a quick Google search. And no, I would never descend into that pit of elitist douchebags that I'm assuming the Metal Archives forum to be.

Holy fuck nuts! This is just bitchin'. Hold on. Take a breath. Hoo. That's me releasing the breath in case you didn't know. Alright, let's get down to business.

I couldn't quite place the influences at first, and unfortunately I am far more versed with eighties thrash than I am with nineties death metal, so I still can't quite place them. It kinda made some sense when I saw that they were from Sweden though. This would explain why they still had such an old school sound in 1992. It doesn't really sound like the kind of Entombed worship you'd expect though. It's definitely not tech death or brutal death metal, but it's still got a more Florida death metal influence than Entombed. Or at least they know how to play their instruments better than Entombed and can put some actual complexity into their music. It straddles that line between old school viciousness and new school brutality that can just be the bee's knees when done right. I mean, just listen to those riffs. The riffs! Brutal as fuck but still catchy and delightful as hell. Seriously, demo or not, this is one of the most fantastic death metal albums I've ever heard. No wheels are being reinvented, but asses are most assuredly being smote. The vocals likewise are closer to late eighties style hoarse growling rather than nineties style gutteral, cookie monster growling. Think David Vincent from Morbid Angel vocals versus Frank Mullen from Suffocation vocals I guess. I love, love, love this and highly recommend it to death metal fans.

Spoiler for I am the click commander!:

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote