Music Banter - View Single Post - A Song By Song Look at High Fidelity
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Pg. 38 & 39

Fuck you, Nick Hornby! Licorice Comfits aren't even a real band! You just made them up to screw with me! Fucking limeys!

But this is also Dick, Rob's employee and the one who made the reference to Licorice motherfucking Comfits, in a nutshell. He's that guy who in the pre-Napster age still somehow knew everything there was to know about music, whether it be the Japanese import only Licorice Comfits debut of the new Lemonheads album. But Goofle wouldn't know anything about that.

And of course just like any self-respecting record addict the time and energy which Dick puts into listening to music, which even Rob can't be arsed to summon up these days, leaves little time for anything so trivial as having a life or making meaningful connections with other human beings. Not that I would know anything about that. As such it is pretty much unthinkable for Rob to discuss any of his problems with Dick. Not that Dick is a dick. He's just Dick.

So with nary an emotion shared they're off to work and I'm off to review whichever Lemonheads album was new in 1993.

The Music

Well, according to my research (Magic School Bus reference FTW!!!) the new Lemonheads album in 1993 was Come On Feel the Lemonheads. Never listened to them, but I heard them compared to the Replacements at some point, so I have high hopes.

The Lemonheads Come On Feel the Lemonheads

Oh yeah. They definitely sound like the Replacements and they're not even trying to hide it. Oh well, the Replacements rule, so I'm not gonna complain so long as this is quality.

They're not bad on first listen. They kind of sound like REM making a Replacements ablum, or the Replacements doing an REM album, but unfortunately without being as good as either of those bands, so they just end up sounding a bit dull.

I'm relistening to the first half and it's growing on me a bit. It's not brilliant, but it's rather warm and comforting to listen to. I might check out some of their earlier material since I imagine that most bands on their sixth album aren't gonna be at the top of their game.

Now I'm downright enjoying this. The more I listen to them, the more fun they get. They don't have that heartfelt, emotional quality that the Replacements have, but they at least have some pretty damn good songs. Whether or not they're particularly original is up for debate (or not) but I will definitely check them out at some point.

Spoiler for Ghost.:

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote