Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the Only Person Who Doesn't Use Ernie Ball Strings
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
anathematized_one
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Not by a long shot.

I've used many strings over the years, but I always fall back on D'Addario half-rounds for my electric and Martin phosphor bronze for my acoustic.

Ernies probably have their place somewhere in the guitar world, just not mine.
And yes, I would break them in a week as well. I can keep a set of D'Addario on my electric for literally a year. (Did it.)
I use the same on my acoustic, I use FireWire on my electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
I never have problems with string breakage, ever. I've only broken strings due to negligence. I've used Ernie Balls on my electric, and they last for months and months with all the weird shit I do to them. My acoustic is a different story, ernies barely last a week or so due to the fact I change tunings so much. Wear develops on a specific part of a string (The G string mainly) and the winding unravels after a few days and it then it starts to sound like I wrapped it in a piece of foam. I use D' Addarios on my acoustic now, which take much more abuse.
I never did a lot of tuning or abusing of them when I had to use them, and that is with any kind of Ernie Ball.

So if the consensus is generally that they're not so great, why do they have such a cult following?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2