Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #309 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
I think Who Do We Think We Are? has plenty of good tracks: Woman From Tokyo, Mary Long, Rat Bat Blue and (my favourite) Place in the Line. Perfect Strangers is a great album and does not have a weak track, although, admittedly, Gillan's lyrics leave a bit to be desired. I also think there are good things to be found on House of Blue Light and The Battle Rages On. Nobody's Perfect has a great version of Hush with Ian Gillan on lead vocals, while the In the Absence of Pink: Knebworth '85 (not released until 1991) is a strong live companion to Perfect Strangers. I love Deep Purple and would rather have material from them on an off day, than most bands on a good day. Sadly, I never saw them live. I had plans to see them (I think) around the time Tommy Bolin joined, but it fell through.
"Woman from Tokyo" is the only good song on the album and I don't like "Mary Long" at all and there is a section of "Place in Line" which sounds like Bob Dylan and that put me right off the song I'm actually looking forward when the time comes to listen to the Deep Purple releases of the 1980s and I can remember that Joe Lynn Turner called "The Battle Rages On" as "The Cattle Grazes On". Also it would've been great to have seen them with Tommy Bolin in the line-up.

Quote:
I do know the Armageddon album, although I overlooked it at the time. Keith Relf was a member of the early and best Renaissance. They (the original Renaissance) continued as Illusion, with Jane Relf in place of Keith. Bobby Caldwell, who always seemed to miss the boat, was also a member of Armageddon.
The album was relatively new to me but I was so impressed with its grandiose feel and really is a fusion of progressive rock and hard rock into one.

Quote:
US, have you heard DT's Made in Japan? The combination of DP and DT is great!
I've heard most of Dream Theaters' studio and live stuff but not that release
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote