Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Theory
Thread: Music Theory
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Larehip View Post
I was classically trained on double bass first in private with one of the finest instructors in this state and later at Wayne State University with another very fine instructor. I've played in both classical and jazz ensembles. All my instructors are now close friends of mine. I know a thing or two about music theory. If you let little inaccuracies creep in, eventually you're disseminating a bunch of BS and not true music theory anymore.

It's like that game we played in school where the teacher whispers something to a student and that student whispers it to another and so on. Then after 30 rounds, the last student goes up to the board and writes out the phrase and it is compared to the original and they are nothing alike. Usually, what the student writes on the board doesn't even make sense. That's what happens to music theory when it's being disseminated online by people who either don't have the background to be teaching it to anyone else or who think their inaccuracies are irrelevant. It gets passed on by others who don't realize it's wrong and they pass it on with further errors added in and so on until it is a useless mish-mash of errors and half-truths.
EVERYBODY is a music critic these days...
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote