Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #23795 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
It took me a couple of years to really get my head around programming concepts, but by the time I was in the 3rd year of my course I learned a lot from doing various projects and didn't have much difficulty then. The final year of my honours degree was a one-year add-on course and people came into the course with different backgrounds and even no experience in programming. They went on to software testing and data analyst roles so there's a lot more to working in software than just being a programmer. I wasn't really given much of a choice with Java as it was part of my course from 1st year. But I'm glad I learned it as it's a very flexible language and can be used in anything from Android app development to web development to retail systems. We covered SQL as well.

Thanks, I really hope I do. Some masters courses you can just go straight into if you have a good enough degree. The one I applied for is sponsored by a well-known company and if my grades at the end are satisfactory I could be guaranteed a role with them. But there's a ton of work involved in it apparently. My current company relies on other companies and universities outsourcing research projects to us. There's very few projects coming in as a lot of bigger companies prefer to do their own research. I've learned a lot from working here though, such as learning new technologies and working as part of a team.
Well it's nice to hear there are a lot of different type of roles I could take in software development. I am feeling better now about my decision being taking Java as a major subject. Apparently the study and work that goes with it is really tough but it would be worth having the skill to apply it in a future position.

Did you do well in your degree? If so I doubt you won't get accepted but do make sure you be prepared for potentially being rejected. I don't think you will from the sounds of it though.

Why is there so few projects coming in? Aren't we in an internet age where there are tons of apps to make, websites to build and databases to set up? I think that's another job that would be interesting is building databases for small to medium companies. I know I would be really keen to make an Android app!

Do you know much about coding to create computer games? I've always thought how cool it would be to be a coder for the next Diablo for example. If I was involved with Fallout 4 I would die SO happy.