Music Banter - View Single Post - Ghost Mall Music
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post

Regarding The Comsat Angels I downloaded their first album Waiting For a Miracle lately as part of my current post-punk kick. A very enjoyable album with a nice downbeat mood to it. I'll definitely check out their second and third albums.
Yes!

Sleep No More was the album that really generated a lot of interest, but it was reported that Polydor slacked in getting more copies into the stores (Hummm...just thinking, but you know how things were with labels and anything that was not part of the established music). Maybe if Polydor would not have dropped the ball with that album, maybe they would have had more momentum enough not to have tried to find a way to go with a more commercial sound. As the liners of 7 Day Weekend also stated..."We had a stretch of good luck, which rapidly turned to bad (and a whole cataloge of woe)", making me wonder how their relationship with Polydor actually was through the early years and if the A&R man who signed them to that 3 album deal was still with the company by 1982 (Things usually run that way for a lot of bands).

More on that change of labels is in this linked interview (and also elsewhere on this great fan site...I just wanted to go to the time and place just to keep the memories going.

The Comsat Angels

An entry on Sleep No More is here mentioning the Distribution problem (from the re-issue liner notes)

Sleep No More (The Comsat Angels album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To be fair to their move to Jive, along with my like of several of their songs from that era posted here, it actually introduced some in The States that did not have a short drive to a well stocked and hip record store and relying on the malls who were interested as the first three had to be found in the Import bins Stateside.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote