Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #22223 (permalink)
Paul Smeenus
David Hasselhoff

Default I helped make this in 1994

This drinking fountain art, found on the Burke-Gilman trail in Lake Forest Park, WA just north of Seattle along the shores of Lake Washington, was made by a very talented sculptor Kate Wade and registered with The Smithsonian. She came to the concrete casting business I was working for back then, the owner of the business (also extremely talented) made a rubber mold over the original clay (I think it was clay) sculpture, then three sections of plaster backing that bolted together around the rubber mold to keep it's shape once we poured the concrete. There was also a square wooden boxy mold with a rubber lining (creating the wave shape) made for the base. I mixed all the concrete in both the fish and it's base, worked all the air bubbles out (using the biggest, deadliest vibrator you've ever seen, similar to this), I bent the big steel rebar rod that reinforces the sculpture, sort of a Z shaped rebar that's inside the head and body of the fish, and I helped attach the fish to it's base (a lot of rebar between the two). I had nothing to do with the art itself, but a lot to do with the labor of making this little landmark

Last edited by Paul Smeenus; 06-11-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote