Music Banter - View Single Post - recording studio setup.
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesonthebay View Post
i think i will need to upgrade my computer sooner rather than later. i was able to increase the CPU usage in the control panel to more as i found it gave me better latency. now when i increase it i lose the sound so i have to keep it at the current setting. this is OK but sometimes i get a bit of latency and i have to reset the audio in control panel. i also suspect the recordings are slightly slower and not so lively. so now my computer is starting to have a hard time keeping up with cubase.
Adjusting your buffers will allow you to affect latency. You can usually do this in either the control panel of your audio interface and/or the audio settings of your music program.
The trade-off here is that lower buffers will reduce your latency but if it's set too low and your computer can't handle it, you can get interrupted playback and stuttering/popping.
In general, it's best to have your buffers lower when recording, as that's where your latency is really going to show itself, and higher when mixing and playing back, where latency isn't as much of a concern.

Also, ensuring you're using the right driver for your audio interface is a good idea. You should be able to switch through different drivers in Cubase. Sometimes one will work better than the other, but in general, if your audio interface recommends Asio drivers, those will be the best to use. Trying different drivers to see which gives you the best performance might turn up something useful.