Music Banter - View Single Post - What's the big deal about Arcade Fire- Funeral?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
As it is, I really like The Suburbs and think it is Arcade Fire's best album, but sadly I feel like I'm generally in the minority among Arcade Fire fans.
I agree with you and Donut Boy on this, we're not alone.

Funeral was the first I heard back in 2006 I think, and I thought it was ok at the time. I was really into indie rock and emo at the time, but it didn't get more than an "ok" from me. Then I started a new job and we had an iTunes playlist or some CDs shuffling in the office, one of which was Funeral. I got really ****ing tired of the whining on the album and started to really hate it. So in that sense, it does stir up a lot of emotion in me.

I never bothered with Neon Bible, but when The Suburbs came out a friend of mine told me it was based on a suburb of Houston (The Woodlands) where we both used to live, and some of the band members also grew up in. So I thought I'd give it a shot and liked it immediately. It's still emotional without being whiny, like he's crying. Great album.

I eventually checked out Neon Bible but haven't listened to it more than once all the way through, reminded me a bit too much of Funeral. It's probably a decent middle ground though, if I were to try again.