Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Journal Of Half Assed Ideas
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #236 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Now That's What I Call Music! Vol. 1 Part 2

New Edition : Candy Girl
So I'm listening to this thinking that none of them sound any older than 8 years old so I do some googling and I'm told the band were put together in 1978, so by the time this came out in 83 they'd been together 5 years!!!
What were they? The Jackson Five Fetus Tribute Band?

Kajagoogoo : Big Apple
So apparently Kajagoogoo had another hit.
I don't remember it either.
The bass players name is Nick Beggs you know. He sings this one as well. The other singer had fucked off for a solo career by now.

Tina Turner : Let's Stay Together
Tina Turner's career reminds me of that of Stevie Wonder in that I'd happily listen to anything they put out in the 60s & 70s but I wouldn't piss on the master tapes of their 80s material if it was on fire.
This is dire

The Human League : (Keep Feeling) Fascination
Oh God, I'm in synthpop heaven. People might remember 'Don't You Want Me' more but I always felt this was their best song.
This is getting turned up loud.

Howard Jones : New Song
YAY!!! It's Howard and he's throwing off his mental chains.
Despite the fact I only liked this song because of the bald guy in bondage dancing along to it this still sounds pretty good.
As soon as he ditched baldy nobody really cared. A lesson for anyone in a band with a bald guy in bondage who doesn't play an instrument.

UB40 : Please Don't Make Me Cry
This is about as reggae as me blacking up, putting on a dreadlocked wig, putting a yellow, red & green tea cosy on my head and singing a Westlife song in a Jamaican accent.
At least the accent would make it sound more genuine than this sub-sentimental slush.

Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack : Tonight I Celebrate My Love
I had no idea what a Peabo was so I looked it up on Urban Dictionary...

Peabo
An arch of colors ranging from yellow to orange formed in the sky in certain circumstances, caused by the refraction and dispersion of the sun's light by urine or other pee droplets in the atmosphere.
Double peabo all the way across the sky; It's starting to look like a triple peabo; Look at that peabo.

Peabo
Another word for the male penis.
Wow, his peabo is huge.

Peabo
Acute vicarious embarassment, such a watching a friend hit on someone in a clumsy manner. Often spawned by watching Three's Company.
After seeing Susan perform an earnest karaoke ode to Celine Dion, Micheal's peabo made him avoid eye contact with the other horrified patrons of the bar.

Peabo

Peabo is a 395 pound black man who's in prison ,Mangles his cock at night, likes to hold his cell buddies safely and securely in his rough strong arms late at night, sodomises his buddies in in the jail showers, has a strong deep voice, has a 18 inch penis and every sentence that comes out his mouth starts with looke here boi.
Peabo-Looke here boi, if you bend ova and be quiet this will be nice and quick .
john-sobs.
Peabo-bend ove boi and take this chocolate in yo rectum foo.
john-ahhh that fucken hurts!
Peabo-i said be quiet or ill put in the rest of the 12inches.
john-ok ok ok (sobs!)

What you just learned there was far more interesting than this turgid ballad.

Tracey Ullman : They Don't Know
In between leaving the BBC television series 'Three Of A Kind' where she starred with Lenny Henry & David Copperfield (Not him, a rather dire comedian from the north of England). And being known as the person who first aired The Simpsons on her show on US TV, Tracey Ullman had a short career making bad records where she sounded like Cyndi Lauper on helium.

Will Powers : Kissing with Confidence
I used to have a friend called Craig
One day I was invited to Craig's sisters 14th birthday party on the basis that the house would be full of girls and Craig was allowed to invite a friend around to stop him getting bored.
I have very vivid memories of the DJ and his shitty traffic light disco lights playing this song and forcing Craigs sister and her friends who were all about 5 or 6 years older than me and about a foot taller to kiss (read dribble over) me.
It still haunts me to this day.

Genesis : That's All
If only

The Cure : The Love Cats
I was about to say that this was what really showed off Simon Gallup's genius in The Cure only to discover he left the band in 82, returned in 84 thus not playing on this.
Oh well

Simple Minds : Waterfront
This song wasn't on The Breakfast Club soundtrack, and it also wasn't used to announce the launch of the Premier League so I've never heard this.
I'm going to have to listen to a few Simple Minds albums in my other journal, if this is anything to go by it's nice to know I won't totally hate them. Good, but not spectacular.

Madness : The Sun and the Rain
I quite like a lot of Madness' early material but by this point they were pretty much a joke band and their 2 Tone roots had all but disappeared. Hearing this just makes me wish I was listening to Baggy Trousers, Cardiac Arrest or Night Boat To Cairo instead. Having said that it's not as terrible as some of the stuff they were putting out in 82/83.

Culture Club : Victims
I couldn't remember this song from the title at all although I know a lot of people who think it's their best.
Then when it started I remembered it's the ballad I hated. I hope Church Of The Poison Mind comes up on these compilations, I love that song.

Highlights
1. The Cure
2. Heaven 17
3. The Human League

Lowlights
1. UB40
2. Bonnie Tyler
3. Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack

Volume 2 coming soon ...........

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote