Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Journal Of Half Assed Ideas
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #238 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

It's the 26th of March 1984 and out pops the second instalment of....

Now That's What I Call Music! Vol. 2 Part 1

Queen : Radio Ga Ga
Isn't 80s Queen really depressing?
Not that I thought they were much better in the 70s but it was better than this guff.

Nik Kershaw : Wouldn't It Be Good
Nik Kershaw appeared on my local radio station last year promoting his new album under what I thought was the mistaken assumption people still care.
Well consider me told because this guy has 1.5 million listens on Last FM and will be playing the O2 arena on Dec 23rd for Kim Wilde's Christmas Party.

Thompson Twins : Hold Me Now
Sometime around the time this was released I was in the record shop with the last £1.30 of my birthday money. I went to the bargain bin and pulled out Madness' 'Seven' album for 99p a Thompson Twins 12 inch single for 15p and I bought a few apples with what was left over. I'm not sure it was even this song I bought and I can't remember any of their others so it must have left a great impression.
I know you were desperate to hear that riveting story.

Matt Bianco : Get Out of Your Lazy Bed
This song needs to win an award for being the most used song on kids TV shows or on cheap imported TV shows featuring dubious hidden camera stunts & tricks being played on Eastern Europeans.

Carmel : More, More, More
I have absolutely no recollection of ever hearing this song whatsoever. It has a nice 60s Motown feel & some nice bongo action. Not the worst song I've heard on this compilation so far by a long shot.
Please Note: This isn't the 70s disco song you probably think this is.

Madness : Michael Caine
Great actor, Shit song

The Flying Pickets : Only You
The main thing I remember about this song is that my sister and I were watching some TV show at Christmas when they came on to sing this. One of the singers was bald and also bore a canny resemblance to Uncle Fester had a growing pile of snow on his head which to my sister who was 4 or 5 years old all the time thought was the funniest thing ever and couldn't stop laughing for the next 6 months.
Sadly I couldn't find the video of it so you'll have to make do with this artists impression of the event.

I could also give this song props because the lead singer was in the amazing movie Twin Town. But I'm not.

Nena : 99 Red Balloons
Eurovision shite, no matter what language it's sung in.

Cyndi Lauper : Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
I can't really say anything bad about this because this song was the whole catalyst for the whole Rock n Wrestling connection thing with Cyndi coming into the WWF and having Rowdy Roddy Piper smash a gold disc over her manager's head and kick her in the face at 'The War To Settle The Score' with Hulk Hogan & Mr T which ultimately lead on to the first ever Wrestlemania being the huge success it was. And it had Capt. Lou Albano playing her Dad in the video.

In another weird turn of events after the whole melee in the ring they cut to Mean Gene Okerlund backstage who did an interview with Andy Warhol on his thoughts about what had just occurred....

Tracey Ullman : My Guy's Mad at Me
Ugh, what's with all these crap Madness songs.
Ugh, what's with all these crap Tracey Ullman covers.

Matthew Wilder : Break My Stride
I must have heard this song 1000 times and I had no idea who sung it, I still have no idea

Julia & Company : Breaking Down
Generic mid 80s R&B by someone else I've never heard of. I'm assuming Julia didn't have company for very long.

Joe Fagin : That's Livin' Alright
While managing Liverpool to First Division, League Cup & European Cup glory in 1984 Joe also had a job on the side singing the theme tune to 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet'. No wonder he was voted manager of the year. Thankfully it saved us from having a Jimmy Nail sung theme tune.
Random fact: Gary Holton who played Wayne Norris in the series before he died of a drugs overdose the following year was in a rather good underrated trashy glam band called The Heavy Metal Kids who recorded 3 albums in the mid 70s.

Hot Chocolate : I Gave You My Heart (Didn't I)
This song wasn't in The Full Monty therefore I don't care.

Snowy White : Bird of Paradise
I have to give Snowy the benefit of the doubt here as he was very briefly Thin Lizzy's guitarist when they recorded their Renegade album in 1981, an album I've always been rather fond of despite it's critics.
Snowy was a bit too lightweight for Lizzy and they soon got rid of him to make room for John Sykes who shoved a rocket up the bands arse and was the main spark of inspiration that was responsible for the amazing Thunder & Lightning album which was the heaviest album Thin Lizzy ever recorded.
why am I babbling on about Thin Lizzy? Well it's much more interesting than this rather dull ballad which is your typical 80s guitarist ballad with a very slow mellow blues riff and a guitar solo in the middle and not very much else. Gary Moore did this kind of thing a million times better.
Oh look, another Thin Lizzy reference.
Probably the story of Snowy White's life.

Part 2 coming soon

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote