Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Banter Members' Journals Monthly Update Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #54 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Okay, further to my post about a league table, here's how I intend to run it.

There will be four main categories. These will be Views, Posts, Updates and Comments.

Views:
this is where those of us who have been at this a while will get a bit of a legup. I was going to do this on a basis of so many views per day/week but that would require way too much work on my part, so instead I'm setting targets. As you reach each you get a score. Here's how they break down:

500 views or less --- 1 point
500 - 2000 views --- 2 points
2000 - 5000 views --- 4 points
5000 - 8000 views --- 6 points
8000 - 10000 views --- 8 points
Over 10000 views --- 10 points

These are NOT cumulative, so you don't get points every time you reach another 1000 views. As you reach each milestone you are awarded the points, but in beween, nada. So if say you reach 1000 points this week you get 2 points. If you only hit 1500 next week you get nothing until you get to 2000, when you then get 4 points. Obviously that's added to your total: nothing is subtracted. I just mean you don't get points for every time you reach say another 2000 points. It's once up to 2000 and then you don't get any more points till you hit 5000, and so on. There are at the moment no plans for anything above 10000, but I may add a special extra bonus if enough people reach this target.

But that's just people viewing, which you in general have little control over. I mean, you can write the best journal ever but if nobody reads it why is that your fault? It's not, but to address that we have the other categories, the first of which is, not surprisingly, Posts.

This system rewards you not for how often you post (that's later) but for WHAT you post. This asks what sort of effort are you putting into your journal? Are you simply throwing in a YouTube video, a short album review, a comment or are you going deep into someone's discography (oo-eer!)? Here's how we look at that:

YouTube video(s)/Few lines written/Comment (by author) --- like maybe in response to what someone has posted --- 1 point

Short album or other review (few paragraphs, not too detailed) ---- 2 points

Long album or other review (think Big Ears, Anteater, me) ---- 3 points

Short, or relatively short, feature or other item that is not a review --- 5 points

Longer article that is not a review --- 8 points

In-depth series, collection, feature which runs over more than one post ---- 9 points

The post which begins a series like the above
---------------- 10 points

Unique or different posts
(like Pedestrian's art or scripts, Po's art and Urban's kitchen article) --------------- 20 points

That covers the content, but how often do you update? Sure, you may do a great Pink Floyd discography or whatever, but if you only update once every six months do you deserve your place at the top of the tree? Well, to balance that out we have a score for, you guessed it, Updates!

These are fairly simple and don't rely on anything special being done. You could, theoretically, log in, post "I am great" every day and get the daily post score, but of course a) such posts would not or should not be approved and b) what would be the point? Nobody's looking to out-clever anyone here. It's all about showcasing and taking pride in your ability as a writer and a lover of music. So anyway these are the scores you can get.

Daily ... ...........................10 points
More than twice a week .... 8 points
More than once a week ... 6 points
Weekly ............................. 4 points
Fortnightly ........................ 2 points
Monthly or less ................. 1 point

If you can't undestand that my cat Richie will be glad to go through it with you...

Finally, there is Comments. No, that's not bad English (this is Bad English!)

because the section is called Comments. So it's singular, not plural. Anyway, what do you know? Oh yeah...?

Moving swiftly on, Comments reflects the amount of comments you get on your journal, ie who posts other than yourself. So if someone responds to something you said in a review, for instance, or asks a question, or just puts in a smiley or a message of encouragement, or even has something bad to say, they all count. Naturally, you can't control who comments on your journal --- if you could, mine would have thousands of comments, but it doesn't. But this just shows how either popular or at least how much interest your journal is creating. A journal without any comments is no less a journal, but one with a few or many is starting to make an impact.

So, the scores:

Oneoff/one-liner ------ Somone who comments once, says little and doesn't comment again. Of course, I can't predict when/if anyone is going to comment more than once, but generally speaking you can tell by the nature of the comment whether or not they're likely to be swinging your way again. So for one of these ---- 5 points

Ongoing discussion. Someone begins engaging you in a conversation, you respond and perhaps draw others in, making a sort of mini-thread. ------ 10 points

High praise. What it says. Someone says something really complimentary about your journal, the moreso if it's from a respected member. ------ 20 points

Oh and finally, to get those more interesting journals a leg-up, there will be one, and one only, seriously, never to be repeated, one-off, one I say Special Award, as below.

One-off awards

Something different. A journal that is more than just album reviews or "I like this music". Something that goes a little beyond the basic format. --- 500 points
Something very different. Something that really makes you sit up and take notice and think that's a good and interesting idea! --- 1000 points
Something unique/clever. A journal whose format is such that you think damn! I wish I had thought of that! --- 5000 points

The league table will run every week, with positions obviously changing and if there are enough journals I may emulate the British Football League and have different tiers, so that you can be relegated to a lower division if you don't keep up the quality or updates of your journal, and of course you can rise from the lower tier if you're really good. Might be interesring. Might be too much work. We'll see.

Obviously, and I'm sure I don't have to mention this (so why am I?) points are only awarded week-on-week, so if you do a lot of work week 1 but nothing week 2,3 and 4, you won't get any points for week 2,3 and 4 and when you come back you may find your position has slid drastically. Or not, depending on how much work others do. But there are always those who update like crazy, so you'll need to keep on top of your game. Dispensations will be allowed for things like holidays, lack of internet access and emergencies --- nobody's going to penalise you because you had to fly to Florida to your aunt's funeral, or whatever --- but give me as much notice as you can. In the case of sudden departures being required, you can appeal any slide down the table on your return.

Last of all, my decision in all cases is final. I am God and if you should incur my wrath.... look, just accept my rulings ok? I won't have time to be debating points or positions. If you have a real beef and think you have been unfairly treated you can PM me, but you'd better have a solid case, is all I'm saying....

So with that in mind, I'll put together the first league table and publish it on Sunday. Could be fun. I certainly hope so!