Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Listens to Random **** and Talks About It
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #109 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Author and Punisher: Ursus Americanus

So I was just in the middle of reviewing Songs for the Deaf by QotSA while listening to it for the first time when I listened to a random song posted by Blarobbarg and I completely lost interest in continuing what I was already doing. That song was by Author and Punisher and it totally rearranged my shit.

Alright, I know almost nothing about electronica, industrial, etc or whatever the hell applies to this artist, but all I know is that this rules. Watching some live footage of this dude in action is just crazy. He's just surrounded by homemade machines and robotics that are just banging themselves against each other and making an insanely awesome racket. Fucking epic.

I guess this would be industrial with a heavy drone/doom influence. I've never really been the biggest drone fan, but this is an entirely different kettle of dead fish. Apparently the sound of the apocalypse is captured far better by homemade machines than just heavily distorted guitars. I'm sort of reminded of Godflesh actually, but I've never been the biggest fan of that group. I mean they're cool and all, but this makes them look dull by comparison.

First song "Terrorbird" has "vocals" that really give the song a grotesque feel that is just...fan-fucking-tastic. Along with the brutal, pounding whatever-it-is-that's-creating-the-bass they create an atmosphere that must be what Skynet's nightmares feel like. It would also be the perfect soundtrack to the movie version of "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". The more I listen to it the more I want to listen to it again and again.

I've been looking for something to listen to that's not rock/metal for a little while, and this might just be the artist to introduce me to another musical world.

Spoiler for Holy **** nuts, Batman!:

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote