Music Banter - View Single Post - Merzbow
Thread: Merzbow
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Larehip
Account Disabled

Default Merzbow

Merzbow is a Japanese noise artist from Tokyo (born 1956). His real name is Akita Masami. He took his stage name from the German dadaist Kurt Schwitters project Merzbau (or "junk art building") when, in 1923, Schwitters began to radically redesign the rooms of his family home in Hanover. Merzbau:

Akita grew up listening to and playing psychedelic rock in Japan and listened to a lot of free jazz. He became disillusioned with the whole pot-smoking hippy thing and longed to to do something more conducive to his sensibilities. He enrolled in Tamagawa University as an art major and encountered surrealism, dada and the works of artists as Schwitters.

Afterwards, Akita trashed all concepts of music and became a non-musician (he was a drummer). All concepts as harmony and melody he rejected. I have heard beats in some of his stuff, so he apparently did not reject the concept rhythm.

He is an incredibly prolific artist who has made over 50 CDs (I have around two dozen of them). He has also collaborated with various other artists. His influence in the noise, avant-garde and ambient music scenes is indelible. He is, without a doubt, the king of noise. His material has a harsh, loud, daunting quality to it but he also creates ambient pieces with his own characteristic stamp on it:

Merzbow - Seishi Seppuku Kei - YouTube

The above piece came the CD "Music for Bandage Performance" where he provided a soundtrack for the bondage clubs in Tokyo where this form of expression is taken to an artform.

He uses variety of things to make his music--instruments, found objects, synths, computers. Other bands that have taken a leaf from Akita include Gerogerigegege, Hanatarash, Hydra, Man is the Bastard Noise and a million others (some of whom will probably have you scratching your head because you would have never thought THEY would listen to someone like Merzbow). Probably a lot of electronic games owe something to Merzbow. One guy on Youtube tried to tell me that noise was invented by the white power movement and that without it there wouldn't be this kind of music. I told him he was obviously an idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGqzaPzrQG8

I find Akita's stuff strangely relaxing even though it makes the fillings in your teeth rattle at high volume (which is the only way I listen to it--cranked up). Others can't tolerate it. I like to read the comments in youtube from people who hate Akita's stuff. They are quite amusing. It's always funny to see someone's material engender such hostility and anger. If everyone liked it, it wouldn't be worth listening to.

Merzbow - I'm Coming to the Garden...No Sound, No Memory - YouTube

Last edited by Lord Larehip; 06-14-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote