Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Banter Members' Journals Monthly Update Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #57 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Right then, finally before I publish the first league table on Sunday, a few more points/possible answers to questions that haven't yet been asked:

I'm instigating an extra modifier, as it were, for posts which are of any type --- long, short, album review, comment, whatever --- but which are clever, witty, different. An example of this is the Batlord's recent review read by Hitler. For any post like this (must be made by the author him, her or itself) I'll add a special extra 10 points, so you'll get the requisite points for that post PLUS 10.

UPDATES
In reality, looking back at it now, the idea of following updates that are monthly or whatever won't fly. It's too much hassle and impractical. So I'm revising the Update Points system thus:

Daily --- 10 points
More than twice a week ---- 8 points
More than once a week ---- 6 points
Weekly (ie once a week) --- 4 points
Anything else ---- 0 points.

So in order to qualify for pointage on the Updates you need to put in a new entry at least once a week. Not asking too much, I think?

COMMENTS
First I'd like to qualify what I said about the lowest possible score, 5 points, which is awarded for a "one-off comment". This does NOT have to be a one-off, never repeated one nor does it have to be from someone who is unlikely, on the face of it, to comment ever again. What it means is that a small, offhand or short comment --- by anyone --- that does not contribute to, or instigate, a conversation earns you five points. Now, if a comment like that leads to a conversation within the same week, then the individual comment scores are removed and you get the points for a conversation. Clear? No? Tough.

Mind you, I've noticed that this could be a mixed blessing. If for instance you have six small comments, not linked, that gets you 5x6=30 points but if they become a conversation you get knocked down to 10. Hmm. Hardly fair. So to tackle this I'm upping the conversation score to 100, and that being the case then High Praise has to be increased, so that will become 150.

Oh, and the phrase "respected member" is at my discretion, but would obviously include mods, people who have been here a long time, people who post a lot and are generally known. And me of course. Though not in my own journal. Yeah. I thought of that. You can't give High Praise to your own journal. Nice try...

One other thing I'd like to mention. When you see the table, some are going to jump for joy, some are going to nod smugly and some are going to start looking for the box of cartidges they put away in the attic. Please understand that this table is running from, and concerned only with, this week. So even if you've written some amazing articles in the past weeks or further back, you can't get scored for that. It's only articles and posts made from Monday June 10th, and will cover up to late-ish Sunday June 14th (anything posted after that will go into next week's table); I don't want to put anyone's good work down but I can't seriously be expected to go trawling through, in some cases, years of updates and score them all. It also wouldn't be fair to those who have just started.

Basically, if you're upset your journal isn't in the table then do something about it. Start updating. I only went as far as page 2 of the section, but of course everything after page 1 gets zero for anything except views, as these have not been updated in the past week, so can't be included. Move your journal up by writng something in it, otherwise watch in impotent envy as others claim the glory.

Monster? What monster? I've created no monster....