Music Banter - View Single Post - The Pop of Today Vs Pop Of Yesterday
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

Alright, I just sampled at least a dozen tunes on the Billboard Hot 100.

1. Pretty much everything sounds like something(s) else I've heard somewhere else. Or, they sound like other songs on the Hot 100. Some of them sound OK, but there's little point in listening to them when they just sound like something that's already been around for 20 or 30 years.
2. It has its place, but generally speaking, highly electronicized music kills the soul of music. It sounds so sterile. When even country music singers are using Autotune, you know something's wrong! Imagine Johnny Cash singing Folsom Prison with Autotune, and I think you might get my point. Some New Age and similar music is very successful with heavy-duty electronics (Enya comes to mind), but for some reason it just seems to ruin a lot of what would otherwise be halfway decent stuff.
3. Related to #2, I'm beginning to wonder if it was the 80's (and maybe even disco) which spelled the death knell of popular music. Techno-music and dance music seems to lack passion. Imagine Carry On done electronically, and I guarantee you 80% of the passion/emotion in the song would be lost.

/rant

Last edited by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea; 06-14-2013 at 08:24 PM.
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote