Music Banter - View Single Post - The Pop of Today Vs Pop Of Yesterday
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

BTW, "Faithless Love" above is a great example exhibiting lots of what I call "musical drama" which I rarely hear in modern songs.

- There are pauses after each line, leading the listener to anticipate the next line.
- There are brief instrumental bridges between each verse which, on a larger scale than the pauses mentioned above, again lead the listener to anticipate the next verse. Transitions make a song much more interesting.
- Gorgeous bridge ("Well I guess I'm staaaanding ..."). If all you do is verse-refrain-verse-refrain it gets boring after a while. Nothing breaks up a song better than a nice bridge. I suppose some songs still have bridges nowadays but I don't think the electronic/dance intent of so many songs these days lends itself to having an element which interrupts the flow of the song
- Long pauses after the bridge and refrains ("Faithless looooo-oove ... (PAUSE!) ... like a river flows").

Stuff like that. Make the listener wait, and anticipate. Lead them into the next part of the song, don't just deliver it right away. Imagine Faithless Love without all those pauses, without making the listener anticipate, and it would be a MUCH lesser song.

Last edited by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea; 06-14-2013 at 08:39 PM.
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote