Music Banter - View Single Post - Soap Operas
Thread: Soap Operas
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Default Soap Operas

I highly doubt this is going to get many if any responses, but I've recently become fascinated by actual soap operas.

Twin Peaks was something of a surrealist parody of the soap opera, and professional wrestling is nothing if not a violent soap opera. A soap opera for menfolk, if you will.

Anyway. My sister (15) and I were completely bored and despondent one evening. My mother has DirectTV with pretty much every channel available. We couldn't find anything to watch. We watched Spanish channels for a bit, marveling over the commercials, but then we got bored even of that. For a laugh, I turned it over to the soap opera channel.

An episode of Days of our Lives was just starting, and we watched it, intending to make fun of it. We did make fun of it, but were somewhat captivated. After that, an episode of General Hospital caught out attention.

We have been watching these two ever since. We have tried to watch The Young and the Restless, but we absolutely detest it. We have not missed a single episode of General Hospital or Days in weeks however.

We like each for entirely different reasons: Days has John Black, the actor portraying him being the worst actor we've ever seen in our lives. It is also drama to the nth degree. GH is more surreal, and has better acting. We've both come to prefer General Hospital, but Days has its own charm.

Anyone else watch soaps at all?

I will say that Roger Howarth as Franco on GH is one of my favorite things ever.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote