Music Banter - View Single Post - Screaming at the Moon
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #145 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I don't think for a moment that's what he's saying. Urban was very specific about the "d" word: I heard him say why does everyone have to make a dance record? That's not the same as experimentation: in fact, that's the opposite. Dance music is so generic and corny that it's seen as the safe option, which is what I think our Hatemongering friend is saying --- why go the safe route INSTEAD of experimenting in another direction OR sticking at what you're good at?

That's how I read it anyway. No doubt Urban will tell me if I got it wrong....
Yeah I do remember saying that, but that was more aimed at pop acts than what I think Big3 was talking about.

I think bands experiment for 2 main reasons.

1. It's always been in that bands nature.
2. They've run out of ideas.

To give an example of both, Primal Scream pretty much embody No 1. Each album sounds very different to the one before it. At their core they're a Rolling Stones influenced rock band but they've always added extra things to it with each album so when you do buy a Primal Scream album you're never quite sure what you're going to get anyway, they're released both good and bad albums but I've never really seen them get a backlash over it.

Compare that to a band like DJ said, Muse.
Muse basically made a decade long career of making records that sound like a cross between Radiohead & Queen, and probably beaten all the life out of that concept by taking it as far as they can go with it. Any experimentation or change with that formula was very minimal. They spent a whole decade doing this, so when they do decide they want to do something different to that their entire fanbase thinks 'What the hell is this sh*t?' because it's so different and comes as something of a shock.

That's basically why I think some bands can get away with it and some bands can't.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote