Music Banter - View Single Post - Cellular Phone Ampitheatre/Band Stand
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
anathematized_one
Music Addict

Default Cellular Phone Ampitheatre (need help boosting low-end)

Well as many of you probably know, most smart phones have their speaker on the back. In order to get the volume from your phone, the speaker is designed in a way that you're to lay it on a flat surface.

Now who wants to lay their phone flat and lean over it to watch a video? I damn sure don't. So I made an amphitheatre for it. It is actually a bit louder than just laying it flat on the desk and I took a while to refine the curvature of the shell for this.

Now it's louder than flat on the table and louder without the ringing of placing it in a regular bowl.

Basically I created a Styrofoam core that I covered in plaster and left it rough and before fully drying, I added a layer of Hydrocal over the top of that (paster with Portland cement), sanded smooth and then sealed with polycrylic.

One issue I do have though is that, while it works great, some of the sound fidelity is lost, particularly low-end frequencies. I think that the Styrofoam core is absorbing the lower ones so they're not reflecting off the plaster the way all the mids and highs do, but I'm not sure. I know a decent amount about sound engineering, but not nearly enough.

Is there any way I can regain some of that low end?

The Theatre:

Last edited by anathematized_one; 06-16-2013 at 12:12 AM.
anathematized_one is offline   Reply With Quote