Music Banter - View Single Post - Acoustic Guitar Recording - Mic Choices
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Reign of Tachos
Groupie

Question Acoustic Guitar Recording - Mic Choices

After coming to the conclusion that I'm either doing something horribly wrong or the pickup on my acoustic guitar is the cause of the hiss, I'm going to try microphones rather than direct cables.

I've tried a soundhole cover, it changed next to nothing, I've tried 3 different input methods (through an amp that is plugged into my computer through a USB, via an XLR to 3.5mm cable and a 1/4 inch to 3.5mm converter) and I've fiddled around with lots of settings, all to no avail. For anyone who's interested my guitar is an Ibanez EW35CPE-NT.
I should also probably mention that I haven't tried a proper audio interface because that would cost me as much as or more than a mic + mic stand.

Anyway, the point of this post is to ask a question; which would be better for recording acoustic guitar?

Behringer C-1 single condenser microphone
or
A pair of Behringer C-2 Condenser Microphones
(I can't post links because this is my first post ever)

An issue that I face here is that I don't have a microphone stand and with the C-1 I would only have to buy one, but with the C-2 it seems I would have to buy 2 stands or only use 1 microphone. What do?

I also don't have a preamp. I'm guessing that this is necessary?

I apologise if this comes across very novice and silly, we all have to learn at some point!

Thanks in advance.
Reign of Tachos is offline   Reply With Quote