Music Banter - View Single Post - Uncle Vernon's favorite albums from 2010 to June 2013 (ranked)
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Uncle Vernon
Groupie

#9: Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill (2012)

Released: October, 2012
Genre: Rock, folk rock, hard rock
Length: 88 minutes

Neil Young is one of few rock artists (including bands) that have been going strong since the 70's and still manages to make a record nowadays that sounds great. When the Stones were releasing mediocre "Start Me Up"-songs, Young released a fresh sounding Harvest Moon for example. When Americana was released earlier in 2012, Neil Young sounded a bit tired and uninspired. He shocked most of us with his next release together with Crazy Horse, Psychedelic Pill.

His longest studio effort to date, clocking in at around 88 minutes with just 8 songs (two clocking in at 16+ minutes, and one 27 minute monster), is no masterpiece. But it's a sign. It's a sign that Neil still has inspiration. And it is a great record. I played it a lot when it came out but grew a little tired of it after a while, but when I really dug it when it came out. And when I listen to it now, it still sounds fresh. The two 16+ minute songs, "Ramada Inn" and "Walk Like a Giant" are the highlights on this record in my opinion. Long jams with bone crushing guitars!

Rating: 4 screeching guitars out of 5

Best song: "Walk Like a Giant"